Friday, February 18, 2011

Thankful To Be Focussed

I really am very happy that we have taken the time to go through this book. I don't know if the end of the world is near or not, but I do know that it is not getting any easier to live in this world as a Christian. I have a similar feeling about this focus on Heaven as I did about the earth being created in 6 literal days. This is important! Why have we not been taught to have this kind of focus? This heavenly focus helps us live here on this world in a way that pleases the Lord now. So as I finished the book, I was simply filled with gratitude that, once again, the Lord has allowed me to learn more of Him and to look forward to being with Him in the NHNE more than I ever have.

As for some specific thoughts as I finished, here you go:

1. I loved the simple distinction on page 160 of the difference between the present heaven and the future heaven. Simply, "...the emphasis in the present heaven is on the absence of earth's negatives, while in the future heaven it is the presence of earth's positives." That just makes me so excited for the future.

2. Then on page 163, how awesome to think about God preparing a place for us that is made specifically for us. He knows us better than anyone and knows exactly how to make my place perfect for me. I can't wait to see where my bed will be in relation to the full court basketball court:).

3. Page 167 and 177 talk about the things we do here on earth and how we do them simply because we're people, not because we're sinners. And just as I am pleased when my kids enjoy the gifts I give them, God is pleased when we enjoy things he's given us, like a good meal, football, a good book, sex, etc. He points out that the key is enjoying these things with a thankful heart. Gratitude must be our attitude. Then these things draw us closer to God, which is a wonderful thing. Which also means we'll do these things in Heaven as well. (except sex, apparently, since we won't be married, not sure about that one??)


4. Ok, now. So this has to be the best part of this whole book. He brings it up first on page 232, then he expands on it in chapters 26 and 44. We just might be able to go and explore the universe in the NHNE! Wow! I've never even had that thought before. But it makes sense. Unimaginable territories for us to explore and extablish dominion over for God's glory. If gazing through a telescope now makes me worship my Creator, what will it be like to actually go to Orion's belt?

5. Maybe the second best part was when he talks about the large bodies of water. I have often wondered about this. But it made total sense when he said that since we know there's a river, it makes sense that there will be a large body of water also since the river has to flow somewhere. And then, the thought that maybe we'll be able to dive down and hold our breath for hours; that the water can't be harmful to us; that all the beauty of the current oceans will still exist and we'll be able to go see them freely. Wow!

6. Page 283 talks about hearing stories from angels. Oh I can't wait to hear the stories.

7. We'll need each other in Heaven. I don't know if need is the right word, again, but on 340, he states how before sin, God said it was not good for man to be alone, yet God was with him. He says "To take pleasure in another image-bearer doesn't offend God; it pleases him. To enjoy a conversation with a brother or sister does not require making that person an idol or competitor with God." So we'll still enjoy talking with each other, and I'll enjoy telling you about my travels to the Andromeda Galaxy:) In fact, why don't you join me, I'd love the company.

8. So chapter 36, page 359 made me think, I wonder if anyone will want to hear any of my stories from my life on the old earth. He asks who will be on your list of people you'll want to talk to? Mary? David? C.S.Lewis? So I wondered if I'd be on anyone's list. Then he ended that section by asking "How are you serving Christ today so that you may be on someone else's list?" He read my mind. I'm looking forward to talking with Dawson Trotman, and thanking him. C.S.Lewis and Tolkien also. And....the list goes on. Oh well, no matter. We won't have a time crunch. I'll talk to everyone!

9. Not sure I'm on board with the resurrected pets part, though he didn't state it for sure. I do think it very possible that animals will talk, though.

10. Page 411 says our resurrected bodies will develop greater skills. Yes! I'll finally be able to dunk. Maybe we'll have to move the rims to 12 feet.

11. Sports in Heaven. Of course. And not only Sports, but some of the greatest of this time. I'm looking forward, as he points out on page 427, to playing one on one with Pistol Pete and so on. And there will be winners and losers, I agree. Why not? I'm glad we'll still be competitive in Heaven. And maybe after 5,000 years or so, I'll be able to hang with Pistol Pete, or at least beat him in a game of H-O-R-S-E.

12. Unfulfilled dreams fulfilled in Heaven. This is a nice thought. I hope it's true. I remember praying as a kid that I just wanted to be able to get married and have kids and then Jesus could come back. Well, I'm there, but now Tate just told me the same thing. So I want that for him. But I do believe that God will fill those desires and dreams beyond what would have happened here.

13. Finally, back to how I began. This focus on Heaven is so important. On page 436 he says, "...how many of us are truly looking forward to the New Earth? Consciously? Daily? In your idle moments, when your mind gravitates to whatever excites and interests you most, what do you think about? A new Car? A movie? A business opportunity? A chance to get rich? An attractive man or woman? A fun vacation? Or the New Earth?" Then on 468, "Don't let a day go by without anticipating the new world that Christ is preparing for us." And we must realize, as he says on 469, "Setting our minds on Heaven is a discipline that we need to learn."

Well, those are my thoughts. What do you think? I think that I hope we can keep each other accountable to staying focussed on Heaven. Let's discipline ourselves to be as those heroes of our faith in Hebrews 11. "They were longing for a better country - a heavenly one." (Hebrews 11:16)

The Lord bless you and keep you all.

2 comments:

  1. We are back from our trip and have just read Tdubs latest post. Wow. It really encourages me to see you so excited. Suzie and I talk about Heaven almost every morning. And I'll start planning on the trip to Orions Belt with you...although I'm hoping to discover the "new" Grand Canyon on the NE first. But I have all of eternity so I think there will be time to do both... :) Talk more later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can plan your trips for you. Perhaps I won't get motion sick in the NHNE. I think, T, you'll be amazed at the people that want to hear your stories. You have touched many lives.

    This book was a spur to get me thinking more often about my real home. I'm just really glad you're all going to be there with me. This "fellowship" is a picture of the joy of relationship in the NHNE. Thanks, T, for your post. Your hope is contagious.

    ReplyDelete